A Fantastic Musical Evening
I am afraid I’m behind in my blogging. Activities in the evenings gave me little time for journaling, so I’ll catch you up now.
I’ll start with the pinnacle of the trip so far — the Midsummer concert of the Welsh Association of Male Choirs. It was an experience that will stay in my memory forever. Forgive me if I give a particularly “thorough” review!”
I was a singer most of my life, as many of you know, so I have a great love of choral music. Ever since I saw “How Green was My Valley” many years ago (don’t forget to see it!), I developed a special affinity for Welsh Male Choirs. Something about the quality and harmony of a large group of tenors and basses enthralls me — and believe me, this was an evening beyond my expectations.
I love this music so much I actually planned my Welsh adventure around this June 25th concert. The concert featured 15 combined choirs from all over Wales. Music flows in the blood of the Welsh people, and communities around the country offer male voice choirs. Many have mixed choruses and brass bands as well. I attribute my musical abilities to my Welsh DNA!
The massed choir sang all of the pieces together from memory, and I didn’t see anyone stumbling for words. Two excellent young Welsh soloists sang between choirs sets. It was obvious the men were of a “mature” age, so it worries me that this tradition may dwindle in years to come. That would be a great tragedy.
Welsh people also adore their Welsh hymns. Some are familiar to Americans, but not often sung in church. A crowd favorite is always “Calon Lân,” or “a Pure Heart.” The audience enthusiastically joined in on this hymn to begin the second half of the program. Of course it was sung in Welsh, but luckily I had sung it several times before at “Gymanfa ganus” (guh-MAHN-vuh GAH-neez) in the USA. These are Welsh hymn singing festivals very common in Wales. I include the music for my singing friends:
My Presbyterian ancestors might be appalled to hear the audience clap and cheer for hymns. In fact, it surprised me how rowdy the audience was. One woman behind me gave piercing whistles and cat calls after every piece. It also seemed perfectly acceptable to bring beverages and snacks into the hall. A group of ladies behind me obviously tippled quite a bit during the show. At the “interval” (our intermission), a young man stood in front of the stage selling ice cream from a sort of shelf hung around his neck. Eating and drinking during a performance in our concert halls is grounds for expulsion, but here it added to the audience’s enthusiasm, even if it was sometimes distracting from the show.



How wonderful! So glad it lived up to your expectations. Great review. But, which of your 2 seats did you choose?!
ReplyDeleteHaha! The downstairs ones, right in front of the stage. The seats were great, even if the ladies behind me were a little tipsy.
DeleteGlad the concert lived up to expectations.
ReplyDeleteHow fabulous! And, you were allowed to sing along. Even better.
ReplyDeleteWales certainly suits you. Maybe you could trade houses with a Welsh family for a summer! Patty
ReplyDeleteI am loving your blogs!!!!
ReplyDeleteSounds wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jane. Your synopsis of the mens choir was terrific in its details and humor!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jane for including us in your blog! It was such a pleasure to meet you at the concert on Saturday and what an incredible evening it was! Like you we are also thinking of the Royal Albert Hall so maybe we will meet again. Enjoy your Welsh adventure.
ReplyDelete